Image above: A ... ...
The address for the Socialsense blog
The Thebarton Senior College Moodle
Course Calendar for your time management
Contact Malcolm at firstname.lastname@example.org
- to analyse the ways in which society as a whole deals with ethical issues.
- to consider how ethical codes of conduct are determined by many social influences, including family, culture, religion, and work.
- to understand the types of power that support different value systems.
- to analyse positions taken and appraise social issues that involve complex ethical judgments.
- to consider issues such as animal rights; job discrimination; assisted suicide; censorship; welfare and social justice; punishment; sexual ethics; the ethics of social research; the mass media; privacy; and the role of new technologies such as domestic and reproductive technology, production technology, and military technology.
- to consider the origins and effects of repressive or unfair laws, policies, and/or agreements in relation to minorities and less powerful nations.
- to research ways in which government, business, and community policies and practices relate to a particular ethical stance.
- to explore and contribute to the implementation of goals related to ethical behaviour or to ecological and social sustainability.
- to identify and analyse ethical issues relevant to their own positions and practices,and assess appropriate strategies to change these if appropriate.
As an example of an ethical cause I thought it was worth us considering is the Kony 2012 initiative. The cause is related to the campaign to gather support to stop the human rights violations inflicted on the people, in particular the children of Uganda by rebel leader Joseph Kony. The video called Kony 2012 which is linked to on this blog is graphic and confronting in parts and may upset some people. The Kony 2012 video.
- “Planet connection through technology.”
- “Technology enables us to connect anywhere, anytime ... This connection is changing the way the world works.” In short the video is highlighting the fact that technology is making space diminish through the power of technology leading to increased global interconnection.
- “There are more people on Facebook today than there were on the planet 200 years ago.”
- “Humanities greatest desire is to belong and connect.”
- “Where you live should not determine whether you live?
- “It is not just important for one people but for everyone to capture and stop Kony.
- “Kony’s name needs to be everywhere.”
- “Will use 20 culture makers to make Kony famous?
- “Today the people of the world can see each other and can protect each other.”
- “The power of media to mobilise the world to act.”
- “To change the conversation of a culture.”
- “We are living in a new world, a Facebook world where 750 million people share ideas, not thinking in borders, it’s a global community.”
- “Arresting Joseph Kony will prove that the world we live in has new rules, that the technology that has brought our planet together is allowing us to respond the problems of our friends – a place where children, no matter where they live have a childhood, free from fear.”
The new Kony 2012 video called 'Move"
Research all you can about this example of a cause - was it a scam? What do you think?